Tuesday 12 July 2011

Melt-in-the-mouth German Cookies























“Oh man, not again!!” – If that’s what you are thinking …

I know, I know; this recipe has been blogged for a very long time.  But you know what; the mood for these cookies came only over the weekend.  Baking for me, it’s not just about skills, but very much about moods and feelings too.  I could be dying to bake all weekdays; when weekend finally arrives, I simply don’t feel like it anymore.   No matter how hard I try to rekindle the desperation. So I would end up just rot on the couch, do nothing…

Where was I? - Oh ya, we were talking about German cookies … I tried something different, so hear me out … can?

Melt-in-the-mouth?
Yes, these cookies really melt in your mouth.  They crumble very easily too, so be very careful when your handle them.  I dropped one during transferring, at what – three inches height, it crumbled into pieces!   

Where in the oven?
Unlike many, I will bake these cookies on the lower rack;   browned bottom is better than browned top. Then the cookies will not stick to the baking sheet as much.  It’s easier to remove them; cleaner baking sheet means better cookies bottoms … :-)

Sugar. 
My darlings like sweets, so I added extra 10g of sugar.

Flavors. 
I did not like the idea of buttery.  So I made chocolate and orange flavors.  I actually wanted lemon, but couldn’t find one in my fridge … :-).  

Verdict. 
Orange zest is the winner.  We like that tint of orange flavor; kind of balances that overwhelming buttery taste.

If you like one-bite size cookies, then this recipe should yield about 45 cookies or more.  Less than that  – watch those dropping crumbs as you take your first bite.






















I got this recipe from Cook.Bake.Love.  If you are like me, prefer more than the buttery taste, here’s what you can do:
For a chocolate flavor, add 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder and one teaspoon of vanilar essence.
For a citric flavor, add 1 teaspoon of orange or lemon zest.  

What I like about this recipe is the simplicity.  Four ingredients, easily find in super marts and convenient stores.  No pre-preparation or what-so-ever; add, mix, bake, done within an hour.

When a recipe calls for many ingredients, worse fanciful ones, it makes me nervous.  I won’t go for it.  If I have to beat ingredients A together, prepared B and set aside, double boil C into some consistency and bla and bla … It scares me away. That, it’s something I wish I could overcome one day.  But for now, I'll stay with simplicity....

No comments:

Post a Comment