Monday 8 August 2011

Cream Cheese Bread

My first attempt in bread making was … what 10 years ago?! I bought a box of ready mix.  All I knew about bread making was written on the box. Not surprisingly, it wasn’t successful.  The bread was sour and dense; I think the dough collapsed because I proofed it for too long. Ha ha, how would I know … I thought the longer the merrier.

From then, it has been just a thought that come and gone every now and then.  No time, no energy, no mood … I needed sleep more than anything else after my two little darlings have arrived.

Last year, a friend posted her bread on Facebook.   I said to her: ‘teach me.’  From there, is what people would have said: ‘… and the rest is history!’  

I have to admit, I am not an obedient baker; I would twist and change the recipe even with my limited experience.  That explains why I failed so often …

A good reason why I make bread is so that my loved ones eat healthily.  I bought this organic unbleached bread flour. My bread did not turn out good.  In fact, the dough was already not looking good; I couldn't get to the usual elastic dough.  I tried again, same thing happened.

So I googled, I mean who else knows better than Uncle Google right?  Then I realized that particular unbleached bread flour contained only 10.8% protein.  That is the typical protein level for all purpose flour of many other brands.  Bread flour ideally should have 12 – 14% protein.  I felt cheated.

So, I bought Gold Medal Better for Bread flour.  For heaven sake, what kind of mistake can you make right?? - Wrong! The poor me kneaded the poor dough for 30 mins on my mixer and hand kneaded further, still not able to stretch to thin film.  I am still wondering why … Maybe it’s not meant for Asian bread … I don’t know.

Have you ever heard of this book that promises five minutes a day, and you will have freshly bake artisan bread for breakfast?? I am not sure about you, but I was surely tempted and bought in! Why wouldn’t I? – Considering I usually take about 4 hours to product a loaf.  There is a soft sandwich loaf recipe way at the back of the book. If you are looking for soft bread, don’t, I repeat don’t even think about trying it.  How can one produce soft, fluffy bread without kneading?  My loaf turned out crumby and dense.

That got me thinking … everything is all about relativity.  Isn’t it?? Yes, it is soft compare to crusty Italian bread.  No, it is not soft compare to water roux bread.  So, I am back to my usual (bleached) bread flour and concentrate on my kneading skill. Gosh, must try some Japanese bread flour ...

I made this cream cheese loaf on a Wednesday, after I got home from work.  I was dying; my hands must knead some dough.  The bread was soft, even after days.  So if you are one of those who do not like the water roux smell in the bread, this one might work for you.  My darlings could not detect the cream cheese, so I think it can be a good base for sweet or savory bread. 



It was past 10pm by the time the bread was sent into the oven; kids were already in bed. My son woke up and asked for the bread cos’ ‘it smells so good and I am hungry.’

I sacrificed a little dough and filled it with spicy dried prawn for my husband. 



Cream cheese spread with sugar for breakfast ...


I got the recipe from here. The dough is quite wet.  I know is messy, but don’t let it stop you ya … I found this Japanese video in Utube, and it’s quite effective with wet dough.  I kind of enjoy the process now … from wet dough to a shiny elastic dough – very therapeutic!

I also bought this, a dish drainer to proof my dough ... works like magic ... Might sound like a joke, but hear me out ya ...It's a 3-piece set. Hot water goes into the base, dough in the drainer and cover. There you got an ideal environment, warm and humid, to proof your bread; rain or shine.


No comments:

Post a Comment