Tuesday 16 August 2011

Thin Crust Pizza




















I am so very happy with this recipe; it's simple, easy, and practically knead-less.  Most importantly, I don’t have to deal with the left over thick pizza edge in my kids’ plates.

If you are up for it, you can  make you own pizza sauce.  I use fresh tomatoes; usually make a bigger portion and freeze the remaining.
Depending on your preference, you can vary the  amount of seasoning to your liking.
More garlic? More herbs? More onion? More sugar? More salt? More pepper?
By all means … play with them … and have fun.

For greater ease, here is a semi-scratch method.  Pour in a can of ready made spaghatti sauce, add in the right amount of  ingredients and simmer till thicken.  There you got it. 



Pizza sauce
Ingredients:
5 large tomatoes
1 tablespoon of garlic (minced)
1 onion (minced)
50 ml water
Half teaspoon of Italian herbs
Pinch of black pepper
Pinch of Salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sugar (optional)

Directions:
  1. Bring pot of water to boil. Drop in tomatoes and cook for 1 min. Remove from pot.  Peel and remove seeds.  Cut into small dice.
  2. Heat olive oil in pot and sauté onion and garlic till golden brown.
  3. Add in tomatoes and water.
  4. Simmer  for about 30 -45 mins till thickened and season to taste.

I got the pizza dough recipe from here.  I am so not used to the ‘envelope of yeast’ or ‘package of yeast’ measurement. 
Envelope and package, same? No same?
Packing size in all countries, same? No same?
Since I bought my yeast by one big package, I must know the equivelence right...?? So, one envelope/package of yeast is about 7g or 2 ¼ teaspoons. 

Talking about yeast, where do you store yours?  My good friend came home from a one-month trip, and realised (the hard way) the bottle of yeast has gone to a better place; the poor dough simply did not rise!  I keep mine in the freezer.  See, it's always good to be friendly and chat with whoever in the store.



This one is an easy recipe , but the hours of waiting time can be quite constraining.  So, I usually make the dough the night before and keep in the fridge; prepare the dough, have dinner, scream at the kids, watch some TV, .... and pizzas fresh from the oven for lunch tomorrow, scream at the kids some more. I have stored my dough for 2 days in the fridge or freeze the dough for weeks.  I suggest to bake them closer to the lower rack, to get a more crusty base and also to avoid surface burnt.

Er ... I hasn't been completely honest - even though this recipe is easy and simple, I do have problem shaping the dough. Maybe I haven't relax the dough enough, cos' I am always so eager to move on ... The easiest way for me, is to  flatten the dough with rolling pin a few times and then slowly push out with fingers till I got the desired thinness.  I have to do this on the baking tray cos' the dough sticks onto the work surface.  If I shaped the dough on the kitchen top, by the time I 'un-stick' the dough, it will spring back and I have to do this all over again ... That's the reason why I have not gotten a pizza peel and baking stone!!  It is such ...a double jeopardy - no good reason to shop for a good obsession (baking)! But, ha ha, since when an obsession can be good ???   Then again, perhaps a good motivation to be patient; wait for the dough to relax the next time ??? - Tough la ... I know myself ...



No comments:

Post a Comment