Sunday 25 September 2011

TGIF


Friday is unlike any other working day …
I would leave work one hour earlier, no detour, no errand and hopefully I can be home by six.  That will be a treat; then I will have few good hours to bake.

But we all know, having the time is not quite it.  The mood has to settle in; not just any mood but THE mood.  I came home last night with a dying mood to bake; BUT, *bake what*??
Bagel – not so popular in the house.
Doughnut – too oily.
Egg tart – too often.
Bread – didn’t feel like it.
Choc chips cookie – oh that … my quest, ah … I am not ready …
Cake – *can la*, but I didn’t have enough cake flour!

It’s not so easy to be Julie (in the movie Julie and Julia) huh … to try every dish in a book.
You need to have a lot, I mean A LOT, of faith in the author.
Let me ask you, statistically, out of ten recipes in a cookbook, how many will you try?
For me, zero happens all the time, two happens once in a blue moon and three has never happened.  I have a few cookbooks from Jamie Oliver. My husband bought them for me; I said I like his cooking a lot.  The truth is: I was more fascinated with the chef then the recipes.

So Friday evening, I ended up surfing the TV and internet, watching time flew by but no baking. I felt like I have wasted a good evening; if I did that often enough I would definitely feel I have wasted a good portion of my life!

Saturday morning … still trying to quench my baking itch.
“What about mochi?” I asked my husband.
“Em… the one you made was kind of chewy.”
“Really, like those at the Japanese restaurant?”
“No, not really; yours tasted nothing like that.”
“They looked the same to me,” I protested.
“Well, have you ever tried any one of them?”
Woh, I didn’t see that one coming; the answer is “no”, but I think I should just shut up.

** Singlish - Singapore English




No comments:

Post a Comment